Moving a person with reduced mobility from one position to another, such as from bed to wheelchair, requires care and attention to ensure both the safety of the caregiver and the patient.
Prior to attempting any movement, make sure you are familiar with the needs and capabilities of the person you are assisting. Teyder recommends the following:
● Ensure that both the bed and wheelchair are in an accessible and locked position to prevent unexpected movements.
● Talk to the person and explain the process before you begin. Make sure they are comfortable and understand what is happening.
● Position yourself in a safe and ergonomic position. Bend your knees and keep your back straight to avoid injuring your spine.
● If necessary, use transfer aids such as sliding sheets, transfer boards or lifting slings according to the person’s needs and ability. At Teyder, you can find a wide variety of products, such as lifting slings, which are crucial when it comes to guaranteeing comfort in the process.
● Make sure that the person is comfortable and well positioned and that everything is safe and secure before removing any assistive equipment.